The game looks easy, that's why it sells.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Nobody Left to Trust

Bullshit like this is why I tend to only trust reviews from Penny Arcade.

The quick and dirty summary. Fact has it that Eidos made a game called Kane and Lynch, and paid many kilo-dollars to GameSpot (subsidary of CNet Networks) for extensive advertising. Fact also has it that Jeff Gerstmann gave this game a poor review, with a detailed explanation to the faults he found within said game. Then two events occurred, in quick succession: one, Eidos pulled said stacks of kilo-dollars from GameSpot and promised to pledge their future giga-dollars elsewhere; two, Gerstmann was fired.

Now, I'm no scientist... wait, yes I am. Well, an engineer, but I've done my fair share of science. As a scientist, at best I could pull a correlation here. (As a philosopher who would sell their soul to have a drink with Hume, I couldn't pull anything that wasn't directly linked to an emotional need for order within my universe, but I'm ignoring that portion of me.) All the same, Gerstmann's inability to comment leaves my head hanging in sadness. Of course management said something about the story (something that completely contradicts the simple data flow of modus ponens) but being who I am I inherently distrust anybody with power. And as my friend Jason said, "coincidental is just another way of saying zomgconspiracy."

I can't trust GameSpot. I can kind of trust 1up; at least as of two years ago they were a great team. I can't... well, I've never trusted IGN so we won't even go there. The joke is that "you can't spell 'ignorant' without IGN" and I hold to that. Really, the only reviewers I stand behind are the guys at Penny Arcade. I just wish they posted more reviews.

No comments: