The game looks easy, that's why it sells.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Comic Review: Fables, vol 1

Link.

The basic rundown: every fairy story you've ever heard is actually true, and they've been run out of their homeland by a Sauron-esque adversary simply called... The Adversary. Catchy, no? They've now moved underground in New York and are attempting to live in such a way that the mundane citizens (or 'mundies') don't notice their existence, piddling away eternity, longing for their homeland. Along the way, there's murder.

In this volume, divorcee and bureaucratic leader of Fable, Snow White, is horrified to learn from detective Bigby Wolf that her sister, Rose Red, has been murdered. I won't tell you how the plot unravels, except to say that along the way we encounter a trickster Jack (the beanstalk one), a Bluebeard whose money sense borders on Robber Baron, a sword-wielding Cinderella, and a womanizing Prince Charming, all culminating in a rooftop 'parlor scene' wherein the mystery unfolds to a disbelieving audience.

This first volume was good, but I like a little more grit in my murder mysteries. It was well-written, the characters were likable and overall believable, but I couldn't get behind the story. Just a bit too PG-13 for my tastes. I like blood, gore, chases, forensics, and a healthy body count. However, this is just a personal grievance, and doesn't really reflect on the work. For those of you who like murder mysteries that pan out more like Clue and less like the latest episode of CSI, this is perfect for you.

Once HeavyInk gets the first volume of this series on their site, I'll drop my review there. It would be unfair of me to judge the series as a whole based on this first volume.

No comments: