The game looks easy, that's why it sells.

Thursday, December 6, 2007

It Really Should be a Controlled Substance

I have drawn yet another into World of Warcraft. I imagine this is the pride a drug dealer feels. And Blizzard does nothing to draw away from the comparison. If anything, they contribute to it. With the ten-day guest pass in each copy of the game, "First taste is free," and the recently-added incentive to draw back those who have escaped its oily tentacles, they do a great deal to make themselves look like that guy on a random corner of the Tenderloin, eyes shifty and red at three in the morning.

"Naw man, I've been clean for a year now. I just got my first chip."

He smiles at you. Is it just the poor lighting or are his teeth naturally yellow? "Just one little taste. Maybe we go kill a mob in Outlands? Or how about just a few starter quests in Coldridge? You like gnomes, don't you?"

"I... I love gnomes."

He sidles up to you. A musk of Mountain Dew and stale pizza hangs on his clothing. "Gnomes make great warlocks."

"I used to play a warlock."

"Best on the server, I bet." His eyes turn feral.

"The best."

His smile is wide. Triumphant.

No comments: